Monday, February 21, 2011

Book Three: The Maze Runner-James Dashner

Book number three out of fifty was finished a few weeks ago, I've just been pokey in the posting! This was another book recommended to me from my friends at work... they knew I LOVED "The Hunger Games", so they thought this might be right up my ally too! When searching books in a similar genre to "The Hunger Games" this book would come up. It deals with a time in the future when bad things have happened to the world, and we get a glimpse of what life is like now... see the summary below for what this great novel was about...
Summary:
"When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he's not alone. When the lift's doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade-a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don't know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they've closed tight. And every 30 days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.

Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up-the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers.

Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind."
(from the Chapters website)

This was another fantastic story, I don't know if I would put my love for it above "The Hunger Games" trilogy but I have really enjoyed it so far, and don't want to compare it too much, until I'm done the series, which I haven't yet. This is the kind of book that you need to be able to sit down and just read right through. I started it at night time, so never got to read a lot at once, but when I finally had a good chunk of time, to dedicate to reading, I zoomed through it and really LOVED it.

It has an interesting plot, which isn't one I've read before. I had as many questions as Thomas did as he entered the glade and I really enjoyed discovering the answers with him. There were some interesting twists in this story that just make you want to read more. I found Thomas was a character that I just couldn't help but love, he's a natural leader and just someone you find that you would want to be around in a tough situation.

This book is the first in a series, which I did know, so I wasn't surprised with the ending. It's a fantastic ending that leaves you wanting to read MORE! Luckily I had book two on my bedside table ready to go. I'm excited to continue the series, and would love to see it come out in a movie.

The author James Dashner has a website, http://www.jamesdashner.com, it's a blog where he posts upcoming events where he'll be (he was just at BYU so cool!) and book info... I think the third book in this series comes out maybe this fall? Not soon enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment