Monday, January 24, 2011

Book 1 Twenties Girl: Sophie Kinsella

Book One
Twenties Girl
Sophie Kinsella

So book number 1 out of 50, was one that I borrowed from my sister-in-law, it was one that I had been wanting to read for awhile, but never was able to get my hands on it to read. Luckily she owns it and once finished let me have a read. I was checking out Sophie Kinsella's web-site and found this cute little animated movie about the book, check it out...

"Lara has always had an overactive imagination. Now she wonders if she is losing her mind. Normal twenty-something girls just don’t get visited by ghosts! But inexplicably, the spirit of Lara’s great aunt Sadie – in the form of a bold, demanding Charleston-dancing girl – has appeared to make one last request: Lara must track down a missing necklace Sadie simply can’t rest without.

Lara’s got enough problems of her own. Her start-up company is floundering, her best friend and business partner has run off to Goa, and she’s just been dumped by the love of her life.

But as Lara spends time with Sadie, life becomes more glamorous and their treasure hunt turns into something intriguing and romantic. Could Sadie’s ghost be the answer to Lara’s problems and can two girls from different times end up learning something special from each other?"
(Video and Synopsis from: http://www.sophiekinsella.co.uk/)

I'm a fan of Kinsella, I've read all her books and own all the shopaholic books, they are an entertaining and easy read which sometimes you just need. I found that it took me awhile to get into Twenties Girl, I don't know what it was about this story, but I struggled at the beginning. Maybe it was because the character Sadie can be a lot to take and a tad annoying, or maybe it was because I'd recently read Mini Shopaholic and was used to that story line. As I continued through the book though, the story started to gather up steam and took off, becoming much more entertaining to read. In the end I would have to say that I did enjoy this book, the story concept was different from what she usually does, and it kinda made me think of the importance of family and knowing those who have lived before you. I was pleased with the ending, which for me is a big thing in a book, it's no good if a book is amazing but then ends horribly, that just ruins everything. I'd recommend this book, just beware it may take some time to get into the story.

Here is a fact... did you know that Sophie Kinsella also writes under the name of Madeleine Wickham, and that she has four other books out in Canada...
Cocktails for Three
The Wedding Girl
Sleeping Arrangements
The Gatecrasher (I've read)

Something to look into and check out if you are a Kinsella fan... I am and might just have to look into these titles.

Happy Reading!!

2 comments:

  1. I try to only read chick lit sparingly...or else I lose my desire to read anything else, which I definitely don't want to do, haha!! I've never read Kinsella, so I'll let you know what I think when I get to her sometime!

    I just started reading "Love Walked In" by Marisa de los Santos. I think it'll be a fun read to follow John Groberg and Helen Keller!!

    Have we talked about Kite Runner? I'd love to know what you thought....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I might just have to get into this writer... I pass her books all the time and consider then realize that I have a ton that I have to read at home and just pass them by! No more, I say!!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete