Sunday, January 30, 2011

Some amazing book art...

So I have something amazing to share that is book related and amazing. I work with some pretty awesome people at work. Everyone is unique and different and they all being so much to the book store environment. I smile every time I'm at work walking along and I see someone else that I work with, I love to just smile and wave and say hello.

So this weekend at the book store we were able to wear jeans and dress casually. Which is always an exciting thing! The only thing we had to do it make a donation to "The Love of Reading" which is a program we have in our store, which is so awesome, so making a donation it isn't hard at all, especially as a teacher. If you go to www.loveofreading.org you can see what it's all about and watch a short little video.

I took this quote off the website...

Can you imagine a childhood without books?

No Wizard of Oz. No Harry Potter. No Cat in the Hat. No maps of faraway places, or stories about the people who live there.

A book can inspire a child to discover the world—and themselves. Nothing is a better indicator of future success than early literacy.

But many children in Canada are growing up without books. The school book budget for one child in the 1970s must stretch to cover nine children today 1. Provincial governments are shortchanging our children on the most important investment we can make in their future 2.

The crisis is so great that in 2001 teachers and principals spent $143 million of their own money 3 to buy books and learning materials for their students.

Children from high-needs schools suffer most, including those from low-income neighbourhoods, immigrant or non-English-speaking families or those of Aboriginal descent.

Our mission is to encourage a love of reading in every child and give them the chance to reach their full potential. We know we will get there with the help of our 7,000 employees and millions of customers. The Indigo Love of Reading Foundation has already committed $9 million dollars for high-needs elementary schools—but we need your help to keep growing. Each year, elementary schools are selected to become aLove of Reading school, and receive funding over a three-year period for books and literacy programs to inspire their students. (http://www.loveofreading.org/code/navigate.asp?Id=18)

I've worked in a school that has won this grant and it was amazing to see the amount of books in this school compared to others. It's such a great opportunity for schools, and I hope that whenever your in to buy a book that you'll consider even donating a dollar to help schools!

Anyway, for this casual weekend, staff could also decorate their jeans in a style of their fav children's books, well Steph who is an amazing artist at work, took and old pair of jeans and decorated them to go along with the Children's book, Where the Wild Things are by Maurice Sendak. If you haven't read this children's book you really should. I don't remember reading it as a child, but read and bought it when I was in the education program, and I love the story. Such imagination in this story and Max is an adorable character. We were holding a silent auction on the jeans this weekend, and they'd be an amazing addition to any home or even classroom. They were jaw dropping beautiful! Steph you are an amazing artist and thanks for sharing your talent with us. Check out these beautiful pictures, wish I had my good camera that day, but my iphone will do!

Here is a full length shot of the jeans... wow right!
Jim wanted me to say he made these... he's the BEST!! I love Jim, he's so super funny at work!!
Close up of leg one...
Close up of leg two...
seriously aren't they amazingly beautiful...
she could seriously be a children's book artist... I'd buy her work!
amazing... there is just nothing else to say...
even monsters are super cute
a little guy hiding in the pocket
I also found this SUPER awesome book, called Disneystrology. It has a Disney Character for every day of the year, and it talks about why you are like this character, if your birthday falls on that day. I kept it with me most of my shift so that I could share it with my staff friends. As we read descriptions, they really all did ring true to each of us. My character was Belle, from Beauty and the Beast. One of the lines in the description said that "You enjoy learning and are imaginative" which I think is pretty true. It also gives you what your magical gifts are and your keys to your success, and the one for May 6th, was "Turning beasts into princes".

It really was just a fun little book, and brought a lot of fun out at work, if your ever in the book store check it out. It might just be the perfect gift for a Disney lover!

3 comments:

  1. AWESOME....but how do you manage 3 blogs!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished reading "Love Walked In" and "Dewey". Both were quick reads...I think you'd really like "Love Walked In", you should check it out. I just started "Guernsey Literacy and Potato Peel Pie Society" and I'm only about 15 pages and I already LOVE IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to know which character i am in that book!! Fill me in!!

    ReplyDelete